Founded in 2005 and seen by over 30,000 people, Erasing the Distance is a non-profit arts organization based in Chicago, IL that uses the power of performance to disarm stigma, spark dialogue, educate, and promote healing surrounding issues of mental health.
The vision of Erasing the Distance is to be a national creative leader in generating insight and compassion around issues of mental health.
Central to the accomplishment of our mission and vision is a commitment to the following core values:
- Courageous Communication
You can expect to find these values in our words and actions.
What We Do
- Gather, transcribe and sculpt true stories from people impacted by mental health issues into theatrical pieces for the stage.
- Present high quality, professional theatre productions for the general public.
- Offer custom performances to enliven meetings, conferences, events, and curriculum for organizations and schools around the country.
- Lead outreach programs that provide youth with an opportunity to explore, share, and perform their own mental health stories.
- Teach our unique methodology of gathering and transforming true stories into performance pieces.