Thursday, May 3, 2012

Good Enough: A Storyteller's Perspective

Welcome to part four of our Good Enough Blog Series. Leading up to the world premiere of Good Enough on May 14, we are offering a weekly glimpse into the creative process behind crafting and staging a show that chronicles the true stories of five women living with depression or bipolar disorder. This week, we hear a storyteller's perspective - specifically that of Meagan, whose recently shared story is one of the five featured in Good Enough.

-----------------------

I have truly enjoyed being a part of Erasing the Distance. I am so proud to have my story featured in Good Enough. I have always been the type of person to share my story, but it’s never been performed before. I have been so inspired by this process that I have been working with the Mental Health Association of West Palm Beach, FL. I had the opportunity to speak to AP psychology students to help them to understand more about bipolar disorder. Now they know what some of their peers and family members might be struggling with. I am scheduled to speak to women who have just been diagnosed as bipolar, and I hope I am able to show them what a gift it is. I have a learned more about self-control than most people, and that my struggles are life lessons. I also have a support system (therapist, family, and friends) that help guide me. So I really do see being bipolar as a gift and part of my life’s journey. I am so inspired, I am now working on writing a book. I always looked for a book that would tell me the things I really needed to know about being bipolar and never really found it. I am very excited to help others in their growing process of being in control of their life. I think people like the ones at Erasing the Distance are giving people what a book might have given me. Hope, and understanding that we are not alone and that we are “good enough.” Thank you to the beautiful people at Erasing the Distance! You’re changing lives in many ways.

-----------------------

Good Enough is sponsored by Rebecca's Dream and runs May 14, 15, 21 & 22 at 7:30pm at Center on Halsted's Hoover-Leppen Theatre. We hope you will join us! For more information, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment